On My Mind: 1-16-17

Nolwenn Leroy
Nolwenn - This charming Breton name is said to come from the phrase "Noyal gwenn", meaning "holy one from Noyal" (though some claim it means "white lamb"), is one I can't get my mind off of. It would fit in perfectly in America, and is unusual without being too strange. Breton singer Nolwenn Leroy is also beautiful in a mystical, Arthurian way that only adds to name's charms.

Ellis - I watched the WWII film "Black Book", which tells the story of Rachel Stein who, in order to survive, starts working for the Dutch resistance under the name of Ellis de Vries. I can't find any information on the name's use among the Dutch but I think it's really lovely.

Mahershalalhashbaz and Amatus - I recently watched a clip of actor Mahershala Ali on Jimmy Kimmel talking about the baby he's expecting, and how they want something unique, but maybe not as unusual as their names. They talk some about his name, and how Mahershala is actually a nickname - his full name is Mahershalalhashbaz, the longest word in the Bible and the name of the prophet Isaiah's son. It means "hurry to the spoils!". His wife's name is Amatus - which means "beloved" in Latin, and was the name of a 7th-century (male) saint.

Comments

  1. Oh I love Nolwenn Leroy! And her name definitely adds to the charm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics

Yara