On My Mind: 2-2-15

Keomi Gray as "Vivien" by Frederick Sandys
I've only got two boys names today.

Keomi - Keomi Gray was the lover and model of Frederick Sandys. She was Romani and lived in a Romani camp when they met. She eventually married another man, but did have four children with Sandys; Ethel Maud, Frederick Cyril, Madeline, and Henry Herbert. With her husband she had Nellie, Florence, and Rose. I thought Keomi was very unusual and surprisingly modern for the period. One source even states her full name was Ketyumas Gray.

Simeon - I went to church with my grandmother yesterday, and in one of the stories they talked about Simeon. I'm surprised it isn't mentioned at least a bit more, especially with biblical names becoming more popular. It comes from the Hebrew Shim'on meaning "he has heard". The only downside I can think of is how close it is to simian.

Calico - My sister has been telling about this book she's been reading called "Nyctophobia" by Christopher Fowler. It is about a woman named Calico "Callie" who marries and moves to Spain to a place called Hyperion House, which has a host of creepy things going on, such as darkened, uninhabited rooms, shadows, and apparitions. I couldn't help but think Calico was really sweet. It also features a character named Celestia.

Wallace - I rewatched "The Painted Veil" and wondered how Wallace would wear on a modern boy. I have to say the appeal of a little Wally is great. Wallace was originally a surname, English or Scottish in origin, which most likely meant "foreigner" or "Welsh".

Plum - I've loved this name for a long time, especially as a middle name. James Kicinski McCoy of the blog "Bleubird" has a great feature in which she takes pictures of her children every week and posts them on her blog. Her kids are Julian, Milla Plum, Birdie, and Sailor (b).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Yara

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics