A List of Names Taken from French Royal Mistresses (1)

Odette and Charles VI by François Guizot
I have a fascination with royal mistresses, with the power they gained and held, rivaling only the Queen's, who very often aware of them. They often had quite interesting names, and their children did as well, having the freedom to go a bit more adventurous with them than the royals did. Without further ado, starting all the way back in Clovis' reign from 509-511, here is the first batch of names.

Evochilde - Clovis I

Waldrada, Princess of the Lombards - Chlothar I

Valtrude of the Lombards - Chlothar I

Arnegundis - Chlothar I

Merofleda - Charibert I - Had a daughter by him named Berteflede.

Clothilde - Charibert I

Marcovefa - Charibert I - Had a daughter by him named Clothilde.

Theogilda - Charibert I

Fredegund d'Ardennes - Chilperic I - Later became Queen. Persuaded Chilperic to divorce his first wife and send her to a convent; however he then married Galswintha, who Fredegund strangled. Her daughter with Chilperic was called Rigunth, and she also tried to kill her.

Ragnetrude of Austrasia - Dagobert I - Had a son by him named Sigebert III.

Berthilde - Dagobert I

Gersuinda of the Saxons - Charlemagne - Had a daughter by him named Adaltrude.

Amaltrud of Vienne - Charlemagne

Ethelind - Charlemagne - Had sons by him named Richbod and Theodoric.

Sigrade - Charlemagne

Madelgard - Charlemagne - Had a daughter by him named Ruodhaid.

Regina - Charlemagne - Had sons by him named Drogo and Hugh.

Landrade des Herbages - Charlemagne

Adelindus - Charlemagne

Theodelinde of Sens - Louis the Pious - Had two children by him named Arnulf and Alpais.

Luitgrade of Saxony - Louis the Stammerer

Adelheid of Paris - Louis the Stammerer

Edgiva of Kent - Charles the Simple

Frederuna von Ringleheim - Charles the Simple

Biette de Casinel - Charles V

Odette de Champdivers - Charles VI - She was sometimes referred to as Oudine or Odinette, and was affectionately nicknamed "le petite reine", or "the little queen". She had a daughter by him named Marguerite de Valois.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angourie

Yara

Names from the 2022 Winter Olympics